30‏/12‏/2012

Plantain (Plantago spp.)

http://www4.0zz0.com/2012/12/30/20/281001703.jpg
Plantain (Plantago spp.):
      Plantain was my introductory herb into herbalism. I was taking my first herbal class on salves and lip balms from who would later be my long-term mentor, Karen Sherwood. During class she talked about this amazing plant that could topically draw out serious  infections and poisons. I kept thinking she was talking about  plantain the fruit.
      When I asked she laughed good naturedly and took me outside to her driveway. I was so amazed that a weed could be so helpful. I had never noticed plantain
before, but once I was introduced it seemed to pop up everywhere I went. Others have also noticed
this. A native to Europe it was appropriately named “white man’s footstep” for it followed the white man’s wagon trails.
      Since my first introduction to plantain I have since learned of its affinity for healing mucous membranes. Plantain’s cooling and moist properties make it a fabulous demulcent for soothing the heat of urinary infections, ulcers, or other gastro intestinal  inflammations.
    It can also be used for coughs where there is stuck congestion in the lungs. It loosens the phlegm, allowing it to be expectorated more easily. It can also soothe a sore throat.
   There are several varieties of plantain, including the broad-leafed (Plantago major) and the narrow-leafed (Plantago lanceolata). They can be used interchangeably. To harvest for food, gather the young spring leaves.
    When the leaves are turned over you can distinctly see parallel running veins.
    As the plant gets older, these strings become stronger and eating them in this state is somewhat like eating and flossing at the same time. To harvest for medicine, you can harvest anytime the leaves are vibrant. Some herbalists recommend harvesting the whole plant including the roots and flower stalk.
     Still when I think of plantain the first thing that comes to mind is its ability to draw out poisons and infections from wounds. It can be used in serious cases such a rattlesnake bites and blood poisoning (while also seeking medical help of course), as well as minor cases of bee stings and spider bites. It can be used as a tea, tincture, oil, or salve, but if available a fresh plantain spit poultice works best.
Plantain Spit Poultice
• Gather fresh clean plantain from a clean area.
• Place one leaf into your mouth and chew it slightly so that it releases
its juices. Chew it into a ball and then spit out.
• Place the plantain spit poultice on the affected area. I like to change
the poultice every twenty minutes. If I notice it getting hot I change it
sooner.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Economics And Business