30‏/12‏/2012

St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum)

http://www4.0zz0.com/2012/12/30/20/527771033.jpgSt. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum):
    St. John’s Wort blooms around the summer solstice, bursting
forth sunburst flowers. I was amazed the first time I squeezed the flowers between my fingers to see a purple stain left behind. Another trick of St. John’s      
     Wort is the perforated leaves, which you can see when held up to the light of the sun. These tiny holes are the oil glands. All around this is a magical plant that is such a joy to work with. I like to harvest the flowering tips of St. John’s Wort, which includes
open flowers, buds, and leaves. I  especially like the unopened buds.
    Another plant made famous, St. John’s Wort is commonly associated with depression. Many herbalists feel, however, that it is best suited to mild cases of the blues, especially when related to seasonal affective disorder or lack of healing energy from the sun. 

    I first think of St. John’s Wort as being a nervous system trophorestorative. Besides lifting the spirits, St. John’s Wort brings relief to painful and even infected nerves. I use the oil or liniment on nerve pain such as sciatica. It’s also a fabulous match for viruses that attack the nervous system such as in the case of cold sores and shingles.
     Externally it has wonderful healing abilities against rashes, burns, and wounds. Some people use the oil to prevent sunburns and an external wash to heal sunburns. Other herbalists caution against too much St. John’s Wort causing photosensitivity.
  Taken over time St. John’s Wort can ease insomnia and promote restful sleep. Gail Faith Edwards has used it to help her children with bedwetting. I love making medicine with this plant. Harvesting it by the river’s edge on a sunny warm day lifts the spirits in itself. Well-made medicine from this plant turns a brilliant dark red color that amazes me each time I see it. Each year I harvest plenty for oils and tinctures. I prefer to use this plant fresh, so I have yet to try it as a tea, although in researching this plant I’ve come to realize that many herbalists use it in this way. When making oils and alcohol tinctures, fresh is a must.

St. John’s Wort Oil:
• Gather enough fresh St. John’s Wort to fill a mason jar.
• Some people like to finely chop the flowers and leaves before infusing them in oil. Call me silly, but I can’t bring myself to chop these beautiful flowers. Even placed in whole, my St. John’s Wort oil turns a magnificent shade of red.
• Once the jar is firmly filled with the plant material, pour in enough oil to cover the plants. I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil. Cover with a lid.
• Place in a warm sunny location. (Most oils are kept in a dark place, but St. John’s Wort’s magic is increased with sunlight.) 
• After several days your oil will be a deep dark red. I’ve infused St. John’s Wort oil for as long as six  weeks, but I think a week is plenty.
• Strain and use.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Economics And Business