30‏/12‏/2012

Nettle (Urtica dioica)

http://www14.0zz0.com/2012/12/30/12/183652089.jpg
Nettle (Urtica dioica):
Stinging nettle is a gently acting nourishing herb that is powerfully
healing for many complaints. David Hoffman famously says, “When in doubt, give nettles.” Indeed if I were to take one plant with me to a deserted island, nettle would be it!
Stinging nettle was one of the first plants I ever got to know. Unlike many people I was fortunate enough to learn of its more redeeming qualities before I knew of the sting it’s capable of. Now, I know that spring has finally arrived when nettle adorns our dinner table whether it is fresh cooked greens, a fresh nettle soup, or nettle ale.

To eat nettles fresh, pick them in the spring when they are about a foot above the ground. I’ve found that I can tend a patch of nettles, especially in the shade, and get multiple cuttings from them. Once the nettle is older, and especially after the flowers and seeds appear, we no longer use the leaves as food or medicine. Sometimes I wear gloves when harvesting these feisty plants, other times I use scissors in such a way as to not touch them, and other times I harvest them barehanded. When you are sure-handed and firm, and avoid the underside of the leaves, they sting very little. The sting in nettle is caused by formic acid, and has been used intentionally to reduce arthritic pain in joints, a practice called urtication.

 Cooking and drying nettle takes away its sting. To cook the greens, boil them in water for several minutes, strain the water (which can be drunk as is or added to soups) and use as a cooked green. Nettle is so versatile there are endless possibilities. Every portion of stinging nettle is a powerful ally. David Winston admirably lectures about the amazing ability of nettle seeds to restore kidney function. Kiva Rose speaks similarly of its adrenal trophorestorative functions.
Nettle root is commonly used to lessen symptoms of benign prostate dystrophy. Even the dried stalks of nettle offer us gifts in the way of strong fibers that can be made into cordage and clothes.
Herbalist Susun Weed has recently popularized strong teas from nourishing plants taken as a daily tonic. My favorite nourishing herbal infusion without a doubt is stinging nettle. The deep dark green brew when taken over time can restore energy, lessen allergies, and support kidney and adrenal function. Nettle is high in numerous vitamins, minerals, and even protein. By extracting these nutrients into water we make them especially easy to absorb. Nettle tends to be drying because of its slight diuretic properties. If you have irritated kidneys, nettle might not be the herb for you. It can be combined with more moistening herbs when appropriate. My husband and I drink a nettle nourishing infusion practically every day using these simple instructions.

Nettle Nourishing Herbal Infusion:
• Fill a quart sized mason jar ¼ to 1/3 full with dried nettle leaf. (About two ounces)
• Then, fill the jar with just-boiled water and cover with a lid.
• Let sit for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
• Strain and enjoy lukewarm, or place in the fridge for later use. I try to drink my infusions within 24 hours of starting them. For any infusions that don’t get drank in time I give to my houseplants.
• I like adding a pinch of mint to my infusions for a slightly minty taste.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

Economics And Business